In general chickens are pretty easy. Even if you have no experience taking care of an animal a little reading can get you ready prepped for basic chicken care. They are versatile and work in many different locations, from country, to city.
However, it is possible to make mistakes. Here’s a list of chicken keeping mistakes that have been made either by me or my neighbors. Hopefully you can avoid a few of these!
- DIY Chick Brooder Box
- How To Set Up A Brooder Box For a Hen And Chicks
- Will Raising Meat Chickens Save Money?
- How Do You Know If You Have a Sick Chicken?
- 3 Reasons Why You Need Chickens
15 Chicken Keeping Mistakes To Avoid
- Bring them home before you finish their coop
- Melt your brooder with your heating lamp
- Don’t check the chicks for pasty butt
- Leave your chicken food out for the rats
- Make your coop impossible to clean
- Leave your coop open at night for a raccoon buffet
- Get more birds than you have space to keep
- Get the wrong breeds for your climate
- Keep them in too small of an area
- Let them roam about the neighborhood
- Let them eat poisonous plants in your yard
- Buy meat birds without a plan to butcher
- Keep an illegal rooster in a city neighborhood
- Make your mobile chicken coop too heavy to move
And the number one mistake of all…
Don’t learn from your mistakes.
Are Chickens Right For You?
Even if you do make mistakes, don’t let it scare you from raising chickens!
Justin Rhodes of Abundant Permaculture says, “Your worst backyard chicken mistake is till 10X better than the best conventional chicken operation”.
Want To Grow Fruit In The City?
You can save money at the grocery store without a time intensive garden or committing to raising livestock. Sign up for the Backyard Orchards email course today!