In general chickens are pretty easy. Even if you have no experience taking care of an animal a little reading can get you ready prepped for basic chicken care. They are versatile and work in many different locations, from country, to city. However, it is possible to make mistakes. Here’s a list of chicken keeping mistakes. All of these have been made either by me or my neighbors. Hopefully you can avoid a few of these.
- Bring them home before you finish their coop
- Melt your brooder with your heating lamp
- Don’t check the chicks for pasty butt
- Leave your chicken food out for the rats
- Make your coop impossible to clean
- Leave your coop open at night for a raccoon buffet
- Get more birds than you have space to keep
- Get the wrong breeds for your climate
- Keep them in too small of an area
- Let them roam about the neighborhood
- Let them eat poisonous plants in your yard
- Buy meat birds without a plan to butcher
- Keep an illegal rooster in a city neighborhood
- Make your mobile chicken coop too heavy to move
And the number one mistake of all…
Don’t learn from your mistakes.
Wondering if chickens are right for you? Here’s why you need chickens.
New to chickens? These are my favorite chicken books! Feel free to use one of our affiliate links below. 🙂