The central part of fruit tree guilds is the fruit tree! You don’t actually need a fruit tree for a guild however. And sometimes including other trees is a good option too. Here is a mega list of 55 trees that grow well in a forest garden.
Central Trees For Fruit Tree Guilds
Generally guilds are planned out with one tree in the center, and other understory trees, bushes, herbs, and ground covers radiating out from the center. Your central trees tend to be taller than other trees, and they generally need full sun.
Here are some great options for you. Most of these trees do produce an edible crop. Some are good for herbal medicine. Others are beautiful additions to your landscape and good for the surrounding eco-system.
While central trees do tend to grow quite large, if you only have a small yard, consider choosing a dwarf root stock variety instead.
- Black Locust
- Date Palm
- Nut-Bearing Pines
- Robe Locust
- Silver Birch
Understory Trees For Your Food Forest
In addition to a central leader tree, fruit tree guilds thrive with understory trees. Just make sure to give all the trees enough elbow room when you plant them!
Some trees are happy as a central leader or an understory tree in their food forest! Most understory trees do fine with a little bit of shade, although they will fruit better with more sun.
- Asian Pear
- Carambola (Star Fruit)
- Dwarf Apple
- Feijoa (Pineapple Guava)
- Hawthorn (Mayflower)
- Jujube (Chinese Date)
- Laburnum (Golden Chain Tree) *Poisonous but good for pollinators*
- Mulberry and Black Mulberry
- Rowan (mountain ash)
- Siberian Pea Shrub
More Plants and Tips For Fruit Tree Guilds
Need more information on starting your forest garden and fruit tree guilds? Check out these related posts!
- How To Start A Fruit Tree Guild
- How To Plant Fruit Trees
- These Are The Best Plants To Suppress Grass Around Fruit Trees
- What Are The Best Nitrogen Fixers?
- 17 Dynamic Accumulators You Need In Your Food Forest
- Best Plants To Chop and Drop In Your Fruit Tree Guild
- 44 Insectiary Plants For Your Fruit Tree Guild
- The Most Popular Plants For Fruit Tree Guilds
- 16 Great Ground Covers For Your Fruit Tree Guild
Want To Raise Happy Chickens?
Subscribe for our newsletter and get the free email course Intro To Backyard Chickens as well as a free printable checklist to walk you through step by step!